Thursday, February 20, 2014

Feature Renew/Cancel Index

Hey guys!

Thanks for sticking with me for a 22nd month! I'm planning on releasing some cool new features starting in April in time for my 2 year anniversary. Without your support, I wouldn't still be here so thank you once again.

Unfortunately, this blog/website is getting harder to maintain and I've had so many ideas for posts and features and I wish I could post them all but I don't have enough time to develop them by myself. As this is a personal music blog, I am not going to hire a team to help me (I previously called myself 'we' to remain as anonymous as possible but I got tired of trying too hard to cover it up).

That is why I will be eliminating some features. There are a variety of reasons as to why I am no longer creating certain features, ranging from no interest to too complex.

Here is a list of "canceled features" and "renewed features" (excuse the T.V. talk).

Canceled - Run dates listed in parenthesis; explanation for cancellation below

- Jumps (October-November 2012; March 2013)
I was very interested in this concept (and so were readers) but I kind of lost hope in the project and found it to be more of a pain. Additionally readership fell 68% between the 1st and 2nd volumes and another 58% from the 2nd to 3rd volume.

# of Issues: 4 (3 published)

-The Look (July 2013-August 2013)
As sort of a reincarnation of the previously released Jumps, The Look was "a look at the upcoming week" in a similar format. This feature required a lot of my time and while I was interested in the products that came out of this feature, I felt that it was a little hard to interpret and there was a massive decline in interest between the 1st and 2nd issues.

# of Issues: 3

- Bubbling Under (October 2012-December 2012; December 2013)
This feature was a waste of my time and everyone else's. I am slightly embarrassed that I even posted anything regarding the "bubbling under chart" because I never record the weekly results.

# of Issues: 5

On the Bubble - Features that are being considered for cancelation; thoughts and reasons below

CDS Picks (November 2013-present)
While I haven't had a new edition since December, I've been working on another post that falls into this category. Demand has been extremely high for this feature but it takes a while to produce a quality piece. I may continue with it or it could be replaced by "Pick of the Week".

# of Issues: 3 so far (2 published so far)

- Pick of the Week (February 2014-present)
This may replace CDS Picks, it may be a side by side feature or it could be eliminated. I wanted to venture more toward picking a single song that I recommend each week but at the same time might feel like being kind of creative.

# of Issues: 1 so far

Renewed - Features that I will continue to produce; thoughts, reasons and when you'll see this feature below

Album Reviews (November 2013-present)
Um... wow. This feature alone has really been a branch outward. Both my PRISM and ARTPOP album reviews easily became my 2 most viewed posts (both topping 225) in recent months. The former, my first album review, soared quickly in popularity. The later, was released days later and has since surpassed 450 views to become my most viewed post in my 22 month history. I was surprised by the success of these reviews and I am currently developing several more that will drop soon.

2 Upcoming Reviews: G I R L by Pharrell Williams (March 2nd, 2014 release) and Love In the Future by John Legend (already released)

# of Issues: 9 so far (8 published so far)

- Chart/Chart Highlights (April 2012-present)
The only features that will never be eliminated until the end of this website

# of Issues: One each for every week since April 2012

- Random Posts (April 2012-present)
Sometimes I post random things that are related to music and my chart but don't really fall into any specific category. This category includes announcements and voting announcements/polls.

# of Issues: Randomly sprinkled throughout the run of the website

- Exclusives/Exclusive Interviews (December 2013-present)
I've only made 4 of these exclusive interviews but I've seem them posted all over the place since I've released them (without my permission hem hem). They've been featured on record label websites, Facebook and all over the place. My most popular one, Ayah Marar's interview, has become one of my top posts in history. I will try to do more exclusive interviews with more artists but so far I haven't been able to get another one.

# of Issues: 4 so far

- Holiday Countdowns (February 2014-present)
The one I did was very fun and made me really get into the holiday spirit. I hope to do a few of these every year. Hopefully my Valentine's Day song list will be published in time next year!

# of Issues: 1 so far

- Monthly Wrap (January 2014-present)
This feature gave closure to January and I feel like it would be a cool idea to carry over at the end of every month. Released about 1 week before the end of every month, the feature is supposed to leave open a small gap but seal off what happened overall.

# of Issues: 2 so far (1 published so far)

Future -Features that are currently being produced and could be released soon; expected release in parenthesis

- The Blend/Mood Mix/CDS Mix (March 2014)
I still haven't quite worked out the kinks, but this idea has started to form better than most of my other "upcoming ideas". This feature has 3 working names (above) and while each is different they have the same gist. The Blend would mainly focus on a variety of new music that could be the sound of your world in the upcoming month; a discovery based feature. Mood Mix would focus on new music that you should give a spin to when you are feeling a certain emotion in the upcoming month; essentially a mood playlist. CDS Mix would focus on creating an essential playlist at the top of every month that mixes well known/recent hits and foreign, indie or upcoming artist material; a mix that let's you get some new influences while staying in your comfort zone.

I haven't decided which one will be selected yet. You can tell me which one you'd like to see below. Based on replies I may alternate between the 3 of them.

- Concert Reviews (TBA 2014/2015)
I'll be reviewing any concerts I attend in the future.

-Video Reviews (March 2014)
Kind of self explanatory.

- TBA (April 2014)
I can't say much, but this will be a special feature for my 2nd anniversary!

-TBA (April 2014)
I can't say much, but this will be another special feature for my 2nd anniversary!

-TBA (Summer 2014)
It's a secret.

So there you have it! These are my plans for upcoming features. Have questions, concerns or think I should cancel/un-cancel a feature? Write it below or contact me on Twitter. Thanks again!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips